Santhosh contributes to Dhvani TTS, GNOME Malayalam, Debian Malayalam, Aspell-ml, Swathanthra Malayalam Computing and Silpa project.
Name: Santhosh Thottingal Age: 24 Occupation: Software Engineer IRC Nick: santhosh Email: santhosh dot thottingal at gmail.com
Computer / Laptop Configuration and OS (Distro):
HP COMPAQ Presario V3029 Turion64X2@1.6GHz/512DDR2/80GB with Debian Lenny, Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9
- How did you get into GNU, Linux and FOSS in general?
My friend gave me a book "Free software Free Society" (http://www.gnu.org/doc/book13.html) when I was in Engg college(2003).
- Share your first encounter with FOSS (Installation, setup, etc.)
When I got a computer at home(It was at 2003. My house got electricy connection at 2001 only) I asked my dealer to install 'linux' on that. He tried and failed. So I tried myself and after 3 or 4 attempts, I did it
- What lead to a sustained continuity in FOSS after you stepped in?
gnu philosophy + community + friends + my projects
- A funny instance during your initial days of computing with FOSS
/ computers complimentary to second question) The same dealer started calling me for installation help after one year
Present FOSSy activity
- Which project do you currently contribute to?
SMC Projects(L10N of gnome, debian, kde, Swanalekha Input method, Aspell/Hunspell Spell checkers, etc..), Dhvani Indian language text to speech system
- How much time in a week / day / month do you spend on it?
Nights(2-3 Hours) + Weekends
- What are your favourite text editor[s] / IDE[s] / development
environment tools? gedit, Eclipse
- What do you think is best about your project (that you contribute to)?
It is for for common man
- What would you like to advise budding contributors/developers?
Think about the users first, then think about the project
- Any favorite programming language?
- "Philosophy plus pragmatism" or "Just Philosophy can achieve
goals" or "Just Pragmatism can achieve goals" - Could also be looked as RMS or Linus
Philosophy or RMS
- What's interesting about your local GNU/Linux User Group / other
community that you are a part of? SMC - A community that grown very fast to the most active Free software developer community working in Natural Language techonolgy in India
- Five quick buzzwords (verbs / adjectives) for an "ideal"
community according to you? FOSS + hackers + involvement + trust + communication + upstream
- Best (or your favorite) FOSS related conference in India (One or
many) and why? foss.in
- Why do you think Localisation is important in a country like India?"
illiteracy + widening digital divide will tell that story
- About you
I am working in Infosys Technologies Ltd, chennai as a Programmer Analyst in weekdays and working for my own projects in weekends.
- Screenshot of your desktop
- Your working room / working environment (photo / description)
അടിച്ചുവൃത്തിയാക്കീട്ടില്ല. അതുകൊണ്ടു് കാണാന് കൊള്ളില്ല. അതുകഴിഞ്ഞു ഒരുഗ്രന് ഫോടോ അയച്ചുതരാം.
- Favourite beverage:
- Favourite Street Food:
- Current Locality (City, State):
- Mother Tongue
- City in India you would like to visit in your free time
I don't like visiting Cities, Instead I would like travel through God's Own Country.
- Also please add any other qustions you would like to answer :-)
Do you have any more questions?
|This page features an Indian FOSS Contributor|
Questions are taken from FreeIndian. FreeIndian is all about introducing Indian FOSS contributors, to the world.